August 20, 2012
Scientific Diver: Seychelles
Posted as a courtesy only. Please do not contact me about this position—Dida
Nature Seychelles, a leading environmental NGO in the Western Indian Ocean, has a potential opening for one scientific diver to help to implement a 3-years USAID-funded project on coral reef restoration around Cousin Island Special Reserve and Praslin Island, Seychelles.
The post holder will learn new techniques and methodologies for reef restoration, participate in coral collection, nursery construction, macroalgae removal and transplantation-related experiments. He or she will be able to work long hours on a boat, fragmenting coral fragments and putting them in ropes, and conduct up to two dives a day to transplant
nursery-grown colonies onto degraded reef.
*Skills and requirements*:
- Certified diver (minimum PADI Divemaster) with strong scuba diving experience
- Boat license (RYA powerboat level 2) and significant practice of boat driving
- High physical fitness and ability to work in harsh conditions (strong current, low visibility)
- Previous experience working in tropical marine conservation/research (coral and fish monitoring an asset)
- Minimum BSc in conservation or marine science
- Statistical packages and scientific data analysis
- Underwater photography
- Ability to learn, appreciate and operate effectively in multi-cultural teams
* * *Contract conditions*
- Allowance of R7,000/month (about US$ 538) -
Shared accommodation - Diving insurance to be provided by the volunteer - 3
months (September-November) temporary placement, ideally starting 3rd of
*Location:* Cousin and Praslin Island, Republic of Seychelles
Please apply by sending cover letter, passport size photo, CV, copy of highest dive certificate by email
*Deadline: Monday 27th August 2012.
Posted by Dida at August 20, 2012 11:27 AM